- Read at least 10 pages of a book everyday. This is a pretty humble goal, but it’s specific and achievable. I also find myself reading more than 10 pages after I get started. I just have to get started.
- Read more books written by Filipinos. I’ve been bad at this for the past few years. Target is 5 books read and reviewed, by the end of the year.
- Read more poetry. Review at least 5 poetry books by the end of the year.
- Read more non-fiction. This is difficult. I read books to escape reality and not face it (lol). Year-end target is 5 non-fiction books read and reviewed by the end of the year.
- Immerse myself in the reading community (book swapping with book friends, the iSTORYAN Bookswap Group, The Filipino Group in Goodreads, La Belle Aurore, Cebu Book Club, The Basadours).
- Read books more than I accumulate them. By far the most difficult resolution in the list.
Target number of books to read this year: 25
I know that may seem too few but this is probably the most realistic goal I can do while actually enjoying and soaking in what I read, and not just reading to say I read the book. No matter how much I love books, I don’t want to just read this year. I love reading about other people’s lives but I also want to experience my own. Book-life balance, eh?
It’s not very ambitious but my resolutions are going to take a lot of resolve to achieve. Here’s to hoping I don’t cry myself to shame by 2014.
Happy new year, book friends! May your 2013 be filled with books.